Thank you Texas Master Naturalist Volunteers!
As it relates to our program, April is a big and very important month for us! This week is National Volunteer Recognition Week (April 6-12). We will also be celebrating Earth Day later this month too!
During this busy spring season we wanted to take a minute to say THANK YOU for all that you do for our natural resources– not just on Earth Day or National Volunteer Week…. but EVERY DAY no matter what the day!!!
Through the latest reporting year of 2013 and to date, Texas Master Naturalists have reported:
- Texas Master Naturalists (TMN) Celebrated its 15th Anniversary in 2013
- Trained 712 new TMN volunteers through 42 chapters in 2013. From inception through 2013 a total of 8,852 volunteers have been trained.
- There are 42 TMN chapters statewide with one in development.
- 349,240 service hours were reported by TMN volunteers throughout the 2013 calendar year. This service is valued at $7.73* Million(*National value of volunteer service per hour by the Independent Sector.org). To date, over 2,434,254 hours (valued at $53.89 Million) have been reported to the TMN program. As per the terms of our current federal grant the value of our 2013 service hours is $6.81 Million and $47.47 Million for the cumulative service hours)
- Over 5,302 outreach events were conducted by TMN volunteers in 2013. Of those events, 3,407 were Direct Outreach events reaching some 280,8401 people. Through 2013, TMN volunteers have reached more than 4.1 Million people.
- 7,538 new acres were impacted in 2013 through TMN volunteer stewardship projects and management plans and over 206,300 acres have been impacted to date.
- 72.1 new trail miles were developed and/or maintained through new TMN service projects in 2013. To date, over 1,866.27 trail miles have been impacted.
- 20 new partnerships were developed by TMN chapters statewide in 2013 with over 370 partnership established statewide.
- 7 volunteers received the 5,000-hour service award in 2013
- 1 volunteer received the 10,000 hour service award in 2013.
The volunteer work and assistance that you provide our agencies on a daily basis is such a vital part of our existence… Quite simply, we could not accomplish much of what we do without your help! Your everyday activity is making a difference for Texas’ natural resources and natural areas. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU! Thank You! Thank you!!! (I don’t think I can ever say it enough!!!)
The work that you do and the accomplishments you have never goes unnoticed! Check out the link below for more Thank You’ s from our agency directors and see our home page for news about our TMN program recently being named the TCEQ Environmental Excellence Award Winner in the Civic/Community Category too!
Michelle M. Haggerty
Texas Master Naturalist State Program Coordinator
309 Sidney Baker South
Kerrville, TX 78028
TMN website: http://txmn.org
April 2014, issue of “Texas Parks and Wildlife” magazine
From the pen of Carter P. Smith:
“Their talents are many.
Their time is a godsend.
And, if they were an army, they would be a formidable one.”
In thanks to the Texas Master Naturalist Volunteers for the almost one million hours you gave us in volunteer support during 2013.
Read the full article from the April 2014 issue of “Texas Parks and Wildlife” magazine.