Kirchoff Prairie, under a conservation easement with NPAT, was awarded the 2019 Lone Star Land Steward Award by TPWD
The 200-acre property has been undergoing restoration to a tall grass black land prairie for over 10 years. Many projects have been completed and many wildlife species have returned.
For more information please see: https://texasprairie.org/kirchoff-family-farm/
- Maintenance of:
- Wildlife guzzlers
- Burrowing Owl roost sites
- Diversity Plots
- Audubon Trails
- Invasive species removal
- Pollinator Restoration
- Seed collecting and processing
- Plant seeds in trays
- Major pollinator seedling planting events
- National Butterfly Center: grow 500 Manfreda plants to support colony of Manfreda Giant-Skipper
- TPWD Controlled Burn Tests
- Bird box construction; annual cleaning; monitoring
- Bee hotel/hive construction; monitoring
- Construction projects:
- Leopold Benches
- Wildlife viewing sites
Third Saturday Workday (3rd Saturday of every month; 8:00AM 3:00 PM)
Don Kirchoff works on prairie 2 3 days per week. Contact him to help during the week.
To be placed on volunteer notification list, contact:
Bring your binoculars and camera when you volunteer. There is native wildlife to view and photograph.