Thank you for your interest in the Blackland Prairie Texas Master Naturalist Program (BPTMN). This program is supported by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and Texas Parks & Wildlife and is designed to increase the availability of information and provide volunteer hours to improve the quality of life throughout the Collin County Blackland Prairie.
Our Annual Training Classes are generally taught in the mid-February to early-May time frame each year and registration closes around mid-January. Registration for the class begins in last quarter of the current year. Registration Information on the next class will appear here.
The Texas Master Naturalist program is made up of certified volunteers who have been trained and meet the required volunteer service hours and advanced training each year. While participants will benefit personally in this training, it should be understood that the principle criteria for acceptance into the program is the availability and willingness of the applicant to volunteer.
Training topics taught by regional experts include:
- Geology of the Blackland Prairie
- Prairie Plants
- Avian Ecology
- Our Weather
- Study of Water
This training consists of 13 classes, each Wednesday evening, 6 pm – 9 pm, from February through May each year and 3 Field Trips.
Location: (field trip locations and days vary)
The Heard Natural Science Museum
Science Resource Center Building (SRC)
1 Nature Place
McKinney, TX 75069
Directions to Museum
Directions from the Heard Entrance to the Science Resource Center (SRC)
Stay on the drive, go past the main parking area, museum building and maintenance area, continue to follow the curve, once on top of the hill, there are multiple areas to park in the circle drive or to the right. The SRC Bldg is on the North Side of these parking areas.
Click to view the Heard Museum Guide Map to locate the “SRC Bldg”
(The SRC Bldg is in the middle of pg 1 and top of pg 2 of the Heard Museum Guide)
- Registration opens in November and closes in January with specific dates posted on website each year.
- Go to Class of 2019 listed as a link under Class Information tab to register. Class registration now closed for 2019
- Class begins in February and ends in May
- Fee: $150.
- All class material is provided. You will receive in-depth training from recognized experts in each field and you will have an enjoyable learning experience. No refunds for withdrawing from the BPTMN training program will be available after January 31, 2019.
For further information, please contact Maureen at 972-548-4232 or Greg at email@example.com