- This event has passed.
Ray Roberts Lake SpringFest – Canceled
March 28 @ 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Where: Johnson Branch Unit, 100 PW 4153, Valley View, TX
If interested in volunteering please contact Kate Juenger at Katelyn.Juenger@tpwd.texas.gov
SpringFest is a festival to kick off the season of spring and getting back outside again. It will focus on our natural resources, bring awareness to some important species in need such as our pollinators and teach outdoor recreation skills that will encourage the public to get outside and enjoy this time of year. SpringFest has two parts to it, the spring stations that folks can come and go throughout the festival and field events that happen every hour on the hour.
Spring stations are booths covering topics such as:
- Seed bombs – Making seed bombs and discussing native species importance and how to build your own native garden
- Pollinators – talking about types of pollinators (definitely possible to split up into specific pollinator tables ie. Bees, butterflies, bugs if there is a specificinterest) mason bee motel craft (possibly will move to a bee specific station with other optional pollinator crafts)
- Sun Fun – Solar viewing and safety, I’ll have a telescope with solar lens set up and a UV bracelet craft
- Monarchs – Migration Facts and Make a monarch mask
- Backyard Bass – Teaching how to cast and playing the back yard bass game. Folks get a fish sticker when they have caught a plastic fish
- Pond Dipping – Exploring pond life, collecting macroinvertebrates and comparing them to the pollution chart
- Wake Up Snake – Snake table and spiral snake craft
- Nature Journaling – tips and tricks for nature journaling
- Information – Orientation, event schedule, park info and water
- Master Naturalist Info Table
If there is a certain aspect of spring you’d like to promote that is not listed, I am completely open to other topics! I am also happy to have folks attend in half day shifts if that works better for you all but I’d like to make sure the station is covered for both shifts if that’s the case. I’ll have folks show up at 9:00 AM event should wind down by 2:30 PM.
Field Event examples are a bunny sack race, insect legged race, egg and spoon race if anyone is interested in facilitating field events.
Please let me know what station you would like to work and if you would like to try to split the shift. I’m hoping to have some responses by February 28th but I understand schedules are difficult to pin down. Also don’t be afraid to contact me if you have any questions about a station, the event or future programs at Johnson Branch. I am excited about the event and seeing some of y’all out there!