Texas Master Naturalists Serving Hood, Johnson, and Somervell Counties
The Rio Brazos Chapter of the Texas Master Naturalist program provides trained volunteers for youth and adult education programs, projects and programs at state parks and nature centers, citizen science, and local natural resource conservation efforts.
Texas Master Naturalist Mission
The Texas Master Naturalist program develops local teams of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities. The program is a partnership among the Texas AgriLife Extension Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and other local partners. Chapter members work with partners to:
- Improve public understanding of natural resource ecology and management.
- Enhance existing natural resource technical guidance, stewardship, and outreach activities.
- Develop a Texas Master Naturalist coordinated volunteer network.
About Lights Out Texas
Did you know that 1 out of every 4 birds migrating through the U.S. in fall passes through Texas? Because most migratory birds fly at night, bright lights of commercial and residential buildings attract and disorient birds, causing collisions and leaving birds vulnerable to threats on the ground. Laura W. Bush, former First Lady and founder of “Texan by Nature” invites all of Texas to turn off non-essential outdoor lighting to help birds survive their fall migration. Read Laura Bush’s letter for more details.
Here’s what you can do:
- Turn out all non-essential lights from 11 pm – 6 am every night through November 30.
- Do not use landscape lighting to light up trees or gardens where birds may be resting.
- For essential lights such as security lighting, use dark skies friendly lighting practices.
- Check out maps of bird migration in real time and bird migration forecasts on the Birdcast website.
- Learn more and sign up for bird migration alerts at Lights Out Texas.
Highlights and Important Links
Click on an image below and the page will open in a new window.