We are a group of citizen volunteers committed to the beneficial management of our natural resources and natural areas through volunteer service and educational outreach. Our chapter was established in Spring 2005, and we currently have about 80 members working throughout our three-county chapter area to carry out the mission of the Texas Master Naturalist program. Our chapter serves Hood, Somervell, and Johnson Counties in the Cross Timbers and Prairies Ecoregions.
Our coordinated volunteer network is trained and certified to provide natural resource education to the public, provide educational activities to schools, assist our partners with natural resource management, coordinate and lead citizen science activities supporting natural resources, sponsor multi-faceted outdoor learning events to the public, and more.
Go to our Projects and Partners page to learn more about what we do.
We invite you to join us at any of our meetings.
Enjoy dinner on us as a guest!
We meet on the first Thursday of each month, rotating meeting locations among the three counties the chapter serves. Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. with a potluck dinner and opportunity for socializing and sharing adventures and discoveries. At 6:30, we enjoy learning from invited speakers, followed by a short business meeting. See calendar for upcoming speakers and topics.
Officers and Committees
To contact an officer, please go to the Contact Us page and submit a form with your request. To contact the webmaster, please email email@example.com.
- President – Robert Slaughter
- Vice President/Programs – Kristina Borgstrom
- Treasurer – Henry Bogusch
- Secretary – Nancy Haubert
- Past President – Tessa Chenoa Ownbey
- Education Chair – Tim Eschbach
- Service Projects Chair – Maryann Mathews
- Marketing Chair – Melody Holm
- New Member Training Coordinator – Amy Knoll
- Advanced Training Coordinator – Cynthia Haubert
- Webmasters – Melody Holm and Gary Hinds
- Hood County Extension Office
- Johnson County Extension Office
- Somervell County Extension Office
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
- Rio Brazos Chapter Bylaws
- Rio Brazos Chapter Operating Handbook
- Chapter Management Guidelines (state document)
- Chapter Management and Operations Protocols (state document)
- Code of Ethics (state document)
- Standards of Conduct (state document)
- Guidelines for Chapter Donations to Organizations (state document)
- Texas Master Naturalist Brand Guide (state document)