Join a group of fun and knowledgeable nature-loving volunteers to help provide education, outreach, and service in our communities.
What is a Master Naturalist?
Someone who loves being outdoors!
Someone who’s NOT afraid to get his or her feet wet!
Someone who’s alert to his or her natural surroundings!
The mission of the Texas Master Naturalist program is to train volunteers to provide education, outreach and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities for the state of Texas. The program currently supports 10,400 volunteers in 46 local chapters across the state. Many communities and organizations rely on these citizen volunteers for operating parks, nature centers, and natural areas; and for providing leadership in local natural resource conservation efforts.
What does it take to become a Master Naturalist?
Initial requirements to become a Certified Texas Master Naturalist and member of the Sabine-Neches Chapter:
- 40 hours of basic training (including field studies)
- 40 hours minimum of volunteer service on approved projects in the first year of the start of basic training (Note: you must attend at least one training class before beginning volunteer work.)
- 8 hours minimum of approved advanced training in the first year of the start of the training Session
- $140 application fee (includes one copy of Texas Master Naturalist, a 760-page reference manual editedby Michelle M. Haggerty and Mary Pearl Meuth) and annual background check
Annual requirements to maintain active, certified status in the Sabine-Neches Chapter are:
- 40 hours minimum of volunteer service on approved projects
- 8 hours of approved advanced training
- $40 annual dues
Online Application Process:
Prior to our Initial Training Kickoff Meeting on February 24, take the following steps and you will be contacted by a chapter member
- Visit the Texas Master Naturalist Volunteer Management System.
- Select Apply to Become a New Volunteer.
- Search by the keyword Sabine-Neches to locate the Sabine-Neches Chapter.
- Select Apply to the Sabine-Neches Chapter.
- Select Sign Up.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.