Exciting news! We have implemented a new procedure at the Gate House for clocking in and out our wonderful volunteers. Our more active volunteers (those who volunteer on a weekly or biweekly basis) will receive a name badge with a QR code on the back. This can be worn as a name tag and can also be used to clock you in and out at the Gate House. Simply present your badge to our Gate House staff when you arrive for your shift and again on your way out at the end of your shift. If you do not have a badge or don’t have yours with you, tell the Gate House staff person your name and they can clock you in and out with this information. Please be sure to stop by the Gate House at the conclusion of your volunteer time so that we can clock you out.
We also have Garey Park volunteer t-shirts available in the Gate House that we kindly ask all volunteers to wear while assisting us in the park. If you have not received your t-shirt, please notify a member of our staff on your next visit. If you call ahead or send us an email with your shirt size, we can have it ready and waiting for you when you come in.
In addition, we are seeking more volunteer help in the Gate House on Free Tuesdays through the end of May. Volunteers here are a friendly, welcoming face for our park guests. They provide excellent customer service to our park guests by giving out park information and directing guests as they arrive in the park. If you are interested in applying for this limited volunteer opportunity, please contact Arleen or Madison.
Our daily and/or weekly opportunities that require additional trainings/qualifications include the following:
· Blue Bird Box Monitor- monitor blue bird boxes, submit report of activity in boxes, answer questions, educate public on rules/policies, communicate status of Blue Bird boxes with Garey Park staff & GWMN
· Wildlife Viewing Blind- welcome patrons to blind, fill bird feeders, answer questions, provide environmental interpretation-wildlife/wildland information, complete general maintenance for the viewing blind, educate public on rules/policies, recommend areas of the park, communicate with Garey Park staff & GWMN
Our upcoming special events opportunities include the following:
· Eggstravaganza – Saturday, April 13th -This is a Parks and Recreation Department event located in the open play field area next to the Play Ranch. The main activity will be the egg hunt, in addition to some possible vendor booths and other activities. This volunteer opportunity will be in the event area assisting with set-up and tear-down, spreading eggs for the egg hunt and generally assisting event attendees as needed.
· Family Nature Fest – Saturday, April 20th – This is a Garey Park event located in the open play field area next to the Play Ranch. It is a family event with kid-friendly nature activities, music, plant sale, food trucks and an interpretive hike. This volunteer opportunity will be in the event area assisting with set-up and tear-down, possible assistance with event activities and generally assisting event attendees as needed.
You can find more information regarding shift times for each event by logging in here and looking for the Special Events category under the Opportunities tab. If you are available to volunteer for any opportunity, you can sign-up directly from the same page. If you have forgotten your username, please contact our staff for assistance via email at email@example.com or at (512) 930-6800.
For information on HOW TO volunteer at Garey Park:
· Step #1: For more information on our volunteer program at Garey Park please click here https://parks.georgetown.org/gareypark/volunteer
· Step #2: Anyone interested in volunteering at Garey Park must select the link https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrganization/d9868cad-825a-446d-b29e-110302e00a73/1 .
· Step #3: If they already have an account for “MyVolunteerPage.com” they may log in, if not, they must fill out an application or visit https://app.betterimpact.com/Application?OrganizationGuid=d9868cad-825a-446d-b29e-110302e00a73&ApplicationFormNumber=1 to do so.
· Step #4: Once they have logged in or created an account, they will be able to see volunteer orientations and sign up for their desired date. Volunteer Orientations are required for anyone interested in Volunteer at Garey Park- volunteer orientations include an overview of our park, park rules, volunteer opportunities and paperwork required by the City of Georgetown to become a volunteer.
· Step #5: Once paperwork has been submitted, each volunteer candidate will be contacted and will be able to sign up for volunteer opportunities through our website.
Recreation Program Coordinator- Garey Park
6450 Ranch to Market Rd 2243,
Georgetown, TX 78628
Phone: (512) 930- 6803