- This event has passed.
AT22-290 Webinar Beginner Birding Virtual Classes
October 31, 2022 @ 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM$5 – $30
Webinar Title: AT22-290 Webinar Beginner Birding Virtual Classes
AT-VMS: AT: Hill Country Chapter Webinars (Enter AT#, Class Title as posted, and Presenter)
Comments: AT22-290 Webinar Beginner Birding Virtual Classes, Presenter: Kristine Rivers (AT=1h each class)
Webinar Date: 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31
Webinar Time: 7:00p-8:00p
Classes meet online on 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31
8-week Birding Series or by the class
- Monday, Sept. 12, 2022: Intro to Birding – Find out why the Upper Texas Coast area offers some of the best birding in the world, and how you can get involved! We’ll also review some common species of birds in our area, with tips on identification.
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2022: How to Select Binoculars & Field Guides – Excited about birding, but not sure where to start? This class will give you insight into how to select the binoculars and field guides that are right for you, so you can feel confident when making purchasing decisions.
- Monday, Sept. 26, 2022: Understanding Your Birding Field Guide – Crest, crown, speculum, undertail coverts, supercilium—seriously? Don’t let the terminology in your field guide confuse you! We’ll help you make sense of what everything means, in easy to understand language, using photos of birds in our area as examples. Have your field guide nearby if you would like to refer to it during class.
- Monday, Oct. 3, 2022: Using Your Birding Field Guide – When you’re just starting out, using your field guide to try to identify a bird in the field can be difficult! We’ll help you narrow down where to look in your field guide, and talk about different identification methods using size and shape, behavior and habitat clues. Then you’ll have a chance to practice your identification skills, so be sure to have your favorite field guide handy!
- Monday, Oct. 10, 2022: Location, Location, Location! Understanding Habitat – Birds are an amazingly diverse group of animals with over 10,000 species worldwide, because they have adapted over time to survive in almost every type of habitat. We’ll take a close look at the many different habitat types in our area, and the kinds of birds that each attracts.
- Monday, Oct. 17, 2022: Bird’s Eye View on Behavior – Fascinated with bird behavior? So are we! Join us for this special presentation using our personal videos of a variety of birds in action to learn how you can use behavior to help with identification.
- Monday, Oct. 24, 2022: The Fierce Beauty of Raptors – What makes a bird a raptor? We’ll answer that question, talk about the features of different families of raptors, and take a closer look at some of the beautiful birds of prey that you can see along the Upper Texas Coast.
- Monday, Oct. 31, 2022: It’s Time for a Makeover! Understanding Plumage Variation – In this interactive presentation, we’ll discuss the reasons for plumage variations; how molting can affect identification; and color changes of bills, lores, legs, and feet. Bring your favorite field guide to practice your identification skills!
Cost: $5.00 per class or $30.00 for the 8-week series (Sign up for one class or the whole series)
Register @: https://birdingforfun.com/events/
Presenter: Kristine Rivers
Birding for Fun