Advanced Training provides specialized instruction that furthers the knowledge and understanding of some subject that meets the Chapter’s purpose.
Criteria for Advanced Training
Advanced Training must meet the following criteria:
- Promote continued learning and the development of naturalist skills
- Provide the knowledge and skills required for a particular volunteer opportunity
- Allow Master Naturalists focus on specific areas of interest
- Build on the core curriculum provided by the Chapter’s training class (Note: Advanced Training on any topic covered in the class must provide more in-depth material or a different perspective)
- Apply to Texas and its natural resource management issues
Advanced Training may be based on any of the following naturalist (or closely-related) topics:
- Chapter management
- Climate and weather
- Conservation and environmental issues
- Earth sciences
- Endangered species
- Habitat management and/or restoration
- Natural history
Watching an educational TV program, movie or video on a naturalist subject does not count as Advanced Training except when viewed during the course of an approved lecture or training program.
Approving for Advanced Training
Training that meets the above criteria and is sponsored by the Chapter or its sponsors or partners (see Partners), or by the State Program or its sponsors (Texas AgriLife Extension and Texas Parks and Wildlife), is approved for Advanced Training hours.
Any other training must be pre-approved by the Advanced Training Committee Chair. You should submit a Advanced Training Pre-Approval Request form via email. Allow adequate time for the form to be processed.
Finding available opportunities
We work hard to publicize Advanced Training opportunities, most of which appear on the calendar that forms an integral part of this website. You’ll also receive emails from the Chapter providing more information about opportunities; fliers are provided at Chapter meetings.
It is important to report your Advanced Training hours! For more information, see Reporting Hours.
To answer any questions on Advanced Training, please contact our Advanced Training Committee Chair.