We are supporting the year-round monitoring programs listed below.
Texas Stream Team Water Quality Monitoring
Learn how to monitor water quality in streams, lakes, and bayous. After two training sessions, monitors are given a test kit for use at a specific site around Galveston Bay, where they collect water quality data at monthly intervals. Monitors also attend annual quality control sessions.
Cactus Moth Detection & Monitoring Network
Monitoring the progress of the invasive cactus moth at sites established along the leading edge.
Texas Estuarine Resource Network (TERN)
Monitoring birds and their activities (including nesting, foraging and loafing) in order to establish a baseline for future research, grants, and more. Monitoring is performed at sites around Galveston Bay, including rookery islands, which will be monitored by intrepid Master Naturalist kayakers.
We also support seasonal monitoring programs as needed. These include:
- Cold-stunned Green Sea Turtle monitoring (winter)
- Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle nest monitoring (spring)
- Monarch butterfly tagging (all year; in particular, 08/15 – 12/1). The contact is Vic Madamba.
- Monarch butterfly Oe sampling (all year; in particular, 12/1 – 3/1). The contact is Vic Madamba.
- Invasive plants (all year). The contact is Vic Madamba.
More information will provided on such efforts.