We have created the recurring Volunteer Service opportunities listed below in conjunction with some of our partners. Since the times and locations given may change, you should confirm the event time, date and location with the contact person before going to the site.
Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC)
- Prairie Fridays (Fridays, 8:30 am – noon) – Habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring and trail maintenance. Contact Jim Duron by e-mail or Chatt Smith by e-mail
- Stewardship Saturday (First and third Saturdays, 8:30 am – noon) – Habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring and trail maintenance.Contact Mark Kramer by e-mail or call 281-474-2551.
Galveston Island State Park (GISP)
Many opportunities are available, including educational and stewardship activities. Work-days are scheduled as required. Volunteers are always needed to staff the Nature Learning Center; lead beach or bay explorations and bird walks; and support school field trips. Special training is provided and you will work with an experienced partner.
- Dune/prairie restoration (Mondays at 8:30 am) contact Chatt Smith by e-mail
- For other volunteer opportunities contact Bobette Brasfield by e-mail
Sheldon Lake (SLSP)
- Tuesdays (8:30 am – 11:30 am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration including seed collection, division and potting of rescued grasses and planting in the prairie.
Contact Tom Solomon by e-mail or call 281-705-8173.
Texas City Prairie Preserve (TCPP)
- Tuesdays (9:30 am – 11:30 am) Prairie Preserve Passionate People – Maintain and develop projects at the prairie. Contact Jim Duron by e-mail.
- Wednesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Weekly raptor and bird monitoring.
Contact Elsie Smith by e-mail or call 409-945-4731.
San Jacinto Battle Ground (SJBG)
Thursdays (8:30 am – 11:30am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration that includes potting and planting grasses and forbs.
- Volunteers meet by the park headquarters next to the stone columns at the entrance to the park.
- Contact Jim Duron by e-mail or Chatt Smith by e-mail
Wetland Restoration Team
Wednesdays – Learn about freshwater wetlands and help various restoration projects in the Houston/Galveston area. Meet Wednesdays for carpooling to sites.
Contact is Marissa Llosa.
Environmental Institute of Houston(EIH) at UHCL
Tuesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Wetland garden maintenance. Contact Wendy Reistle by e-mail.
A variety of activities are available. Contact Jerry Hamby by e-mail for more information.