We have created the recurring Volunteer Service opportunities listed below in conjunction with some of our partners. Since the times and locations given may change, you should confirm the event time, date and location with the contact person before going to the site.
Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC)
- Prairie Fridays (Fridays, 8:30 am – 11:30) – Potting, lateral transfers, weeding – contact Jim Duron.
- Stewardship Saturday (First and third Saturdays, 8:30 am – noon) – Habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring and trail maintenance. Contact Mark Kramer or call 281-474-2551.
- Farmhouse demos, docent, site maintenance and other volunteer activities, contact Liz Van Ostrand.
- Bird Survey – First Tuesday of the month at Galveston Bay Foundation Sweetwater property, 7am-10am.
- Bird Survey – Second Tuesday of the month at Exploration Green, 6:30am-10am
- Bird Survey – Third Tuesday of the month at UH-Clear Lake, 7am-10am
Contact Kari Howard by for more information/opportunities.
Galveston Island State Park (GISP)
Many opportunities are available, including educational and stewardship activities. Work-days are scheduled as required. Volunteers are always needed to staff the Nature Learning Center; lead beach or bay explorations and bird walks; and support school field trips. Special training is provided and you will work with an experienced partner.
- Dune/prairie restoration (Mondays at 8:30 am) contact Chatt Smith.
- For other volunteer opportunities contact Bobette Brasfield.
- Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
- Every other Wednesday (2nd and 4th Wednesday; 9:00 am – 11:00 am) – Volunteers collect wetland plants from Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. A vanpool is provided from 1335 Regents Park Drive, Houston, TX 77058 departing at 7:00 am and returning around 1:00 pm. Please RSVP to Colleen Ulibarri for vanpool or to volunteer.
- Exploration Green
- Every other Wednesday (1st and 3rd; 8:00 am to approximately 11:00 am) – Volunteers sprig and pot wetland plants at Exploration Green nursery near 1801 Neptune Lane. Contact Colleen Ulibarri to RSVP or for questions.
Texas City Prairie Preserve (TCPP)
- Tuesdays (8:30 am – 11:30 am) Prairie Preserve Passionate People – Maintain and develop projects at the prairie. For more information contact Jim Duron.
San Jacinto Battle Ground (SJBG)
Thursdays (8:30 am – 11:30am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration that includes potting and planting grasses and forbs.
- Volunteers meet by the park headquarters next to the stone columns at the entrance to the park.
- For more information contact Jim Duron.
Environmental Institute of Houston(EIH) at UHCL
Tuesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Wetland garden maintenance. Contact Wendy Reistle for more information.
- Every other Wednesday (1st and 3rd; 8:00 am to approximately 11:00 am) – Volunteers sprig and pot wetland plants at Exploration Green nursery near 1801 Neptune Lane. Contact Colleen Ulibarri to RSVP or for questions
- Thursdays (8:00 am – noon). Wetland nursery opportunities. Usually at Exploration Green Wetland Nursery, but could be at other nursery locations. Contact Christie Taylor for more information
- Second and last Saturdays (8am – 11am). Volunteer work at the tree nursery. Contact Jerry Hamby for more information and to get on the email distribution list
Houston Zoo Attwater’s Prairie Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido attwateri) at the Johnson Space Center
Mondays (9:00 am to 11:00 am) during non-breeding and chick rearing season (approximately August to February). Hands on restoration within the pens includes cutting and digging Deep-rooted Sedge (Cyperus entrerianus) and planting native plants.
Please note: You must complete a background check in order to obtain a badge to enter JSC. For more information contact Sandy Parker .
Heritage Book Study Group
Meets the first Monday of every month at the AgriLife Extension Office from 10:00 am to noon. Contact Madeleine Barnes for more information. The current book selection can be found in the Midden or here. Volunteers can obtain 2 hours of AT for participating.