We have created the recurring Volunteer Service opportunities listed below in conjunction with some of our partners. Since the times and locations given may change, you should confirm the event time, date and location with the contact person before going to the site.
Heritage Book Study Group
Meets the first Monday of every month at the AgriLife Extension Office from 10:00 am to noon. Contact Madeleine Barnes for more information. The current book selection can be found in the Midden or here. Volunteers can obtain 2 hours of AT for participating.
Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC)
- Prairie Fridays (Fridays, 8:30 am – 11:30) – Potting, lateral transfers, weeding – contact Jim Duron.
- Planting Fridays (Fridays, 8:30 – 11:30) – Planting or removing invasive species – contact Chatt Smith
- Stewardship Saturday (First and third Saturdays, 8:30 am – noon) – Habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring and trail maintenance. Contact Elisa O’Neal.
- Farmhouse demos, docent, site maintenance and other volunteer activities, contact Elisa O’Neal.
- Bird Survey – First Tuesday of the month at Galveston Bay Foundation Sweetwater property, 7am-9am, contact David Bulliner. Meet at GBF’s Sweetwater property entrance on 103rd Street in Galveston.
- Bird Survey – Second Tuesday of the month at Exploration Green, 7am-9am, contact David Bulliner. The park is located within the neighborhood at the Bay Area Blvd and El Camino Real intersection. There is a parking area at the trail start where the group will meet near Diana Ln. and Reseda Dr.
- Bird Survey – Third Tuesday of the month at UH-Clear Lake, 7am-9am, contact Davis Clay. Meet at the UHCL Nature Trail. This survey will include three different points covering three very unique habitats including Horsepen Bayou and the created wetlands at UHCL
- Bird Survey – Fourth Tuesday of the month at Nassau Bay Peninsula Wildlife Park, 7am-9am, contact Beverly Morrison. Please join the group this month the parking lot just past the Lake Nassau Park: 18900 Upper Bay Rd. Houston, TX 77058.
- Sunny Beach surveys are up and running. Please contact Sally Pachulski email@example.com for details.
Contact Audubon Tern by for more information/opportunities.
Galveston Island State Park (GISP)
Many opportunities are available, including educational and stewardship activities. Work-days are scheduled as required. Volunteers are always needed to staff the Nature Learning Center; lead bay or prairie explorations and bird walks; and support school field trips. Special training is provided and you will work with an experienced partner.
- Prairie restoration – Mondays-biweekly beginning 1/13/20 at 8:30 am., contact Chatt Smith.
- For other volunteer opportunities contact Bobette Brasfield.
- Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge
- Every other Wednesday (2nd and 4th Wednesday; 9:00 am – 11:00 am) – Volunteers collect wetland plants from Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. A vanpool is provided from 1335 Regents Park Drive, Houston, TX 77058 departing at 7:00 am and returning around 1:00 pm. Please RSVP to Colleen Ulibarri for vanpool or to volunteer.
- Exploration Green
- Every other Wednesday (1st and 3rd; 8:00 am to approximately 11:00 am) – Volunteers sprig and pot wetland plants at Exploration Green nursery near 1801 Neptune Lane. Contact Colleen Ulibarri to RSVP or for questions.
Stormwater Wetlands Restoration
- Thursdays (9:00 am – noon). Stormwater Wetland nursery opportunities. Usually at Exploration Green Wetland Nursery, but could be at other nursery locations. Contact Christie Taylor for more information
Texas City Prairie Preserve (TCPP)
- Tuesdays (8:30 am – 11:30 am) Prairie Preserve Passionate People – Maintain and develop projects at the prairie. For more information contact Aaron Tjelmeland
San Jacinto Battle Ground (SJBG)
Thursdays (8:30 am – 11:30am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration that includes potting and planting grasses and forbs.
- Volunteers meet by the park headquarters next to the stone columns at the entrance to the park.
- For more information contact Jim Duron.
Sylvan Rodriguez Park
Environmental Institute of Houston(EIH) at UHCL
Tuesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Wetland garden maintenance. Contact Wendy Reistle for more information.
- Second and last Saturdays (8am – 12pm). Volunteer work at the tree nursery. Contact Jerry Hamby for more information and to get on the email distribution list
Houston Zoo Attwater’s Prairie Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido attwateri) at the Johnson Space Center
Mondays (9:00 am to 11:00 am) during non-breeding and chick rearing season (approximately August to February). Hands on restoration within the pens includes cutting and digging Deep-rooted Sedge (Cyperus entrerianus) and planting native plants.
Please note: You must complete a background check in order to obtain a badge to enter JSC. For more information contact Sandy Parker.
Houston Parks and Recreation Department(HPARD)
Prairie and tree planting at HPARD , 3rd Wed of month 800am, contact Marrisa Llosa.