Due to COVID-19 many of these activities have not returned to their regular schedule. Please check with the contact person in advance.
We have created the recurring Volunteer Service opportunities listed below in conjunction with some of our partners. Since the times and locations given may change, you should confirm the event time, date and location with the contact person before going to the site.
Heritage Book Study Group
- Meeting the first Monday of every month via ZOOM. Contact Madeleine Barnes for more information. The current book selection can be found in the Midden or here. Volunteers can obtain 2 hours of AT for participating.
- Meets the second Wednesday of each quarter from 9am -11am via ZOOM. Contact Scott Buckel or Chris Anastas for more information. Attendees can obtain 2 hours of AT for participating.
Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC)
- Volunteer activities available are guides for night hikes, kayak and pontoon boat tours, prairie restoration, maintenance, gardening, monthly bird counts and assisting with Eco kids programs.
- Before volunteering you must complete mandatory COVID-19 training. Contact Elisa O’Neal or visit the ABNC volunteer website for more information.
Group Bird Surveys
- Sweetwater Survey – First Tuesday of the month, 7am – 9am
Meet at the property entrance on 103rd Street in Galveston. These surveys are an important tool for monitoring bird populations, migration, habitat and the overall health of Galveston Bay. If you’d like to come, be prepared with wading boots or rubber boots! Contact Davis Clay for more information
- Resoft Park Bird Survey – First Wednesday of the month, 8am
Resoft Park is located at 20020 TX-35, Alvin, TX 77511. Contact Deborah Repasz (email@example.com) if you are interested in attending.
- Exporation Green Bird Survey – Second Tuesday of the month, 7am-9am
This survey is at Galveston Bay Foundation’s Exploration Green. We will meet at the parking area at 7:00am by the trail start near Diana Ln. and Reseda Dr. This park has a trail so tennis shoes would be fine for walking, unless there is an abundance of rain in which case boots may be preferred. Contact Davis Clay for more information.
- U of H Clear Lake Bird Survey – Third Tuesday of the month, 7am-9am
Meet at the UHCL Nature Trail at 7:00AM. This survey will include three different points covering three very unique habitats including Horse pen Bayou and the created wetlands at UHCL. Waterproof boots are recommended for this survey! Contact Davis Clay for more information.
- Nassau Bay Peninsula Wildlife Park Bird Survey, Fourth Tuesday of the month, 7am-9am
This 3 mile round trip trail is decomposed concrete gravel so boots are not required for walking unless it’s rainy or you go “off road”. The group meets in the parking lot at 18900 Upper Bay Rd. Houston, TX 77058. Sidewalk leads away from lot to the east. If you arrive late, just walk about 1/5th of a mile on the sidewalk along the creek to the gate which opens to peninsula path. Contact Davis Clay for more information.
- University of Houston Coastal Bird Survey, Fourth Saturday of the month, 7am-9am
The UH Coastal Center is located at: 5721 Highway 2004, La Marque, TX 77568. Please be on time so you don’t get locked out. Contact Deborah Repasz (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in attending.
- Contact Alexis Baldera (email@example.com) if you have any questions about the TERN bird surveys
Galveston Island State Park (GISP)
Many opportunities are available, including educational and stewardship activities. Work-days are Monday (plantingss) and Thursdays (potting). Volunteers are always needed to staff the Nature Learning Center; lead bay or prairie explorations and bird walks; and support school field trips. Special training is provided and you will work with an experienced partner. Contact Walter Meyer for more information.
Wetland and Stormwater Wetlands Restoration
- Meets every Wednesday and Thursday, usually at Exporation Green nursery which is located at 1719 Neptune in Clear Lake, but location does change.
- You must RSVP
- Look for information sent via GBAC email each week
- Contact Christie Taylor for more information
Texas City Prairie Preserve (TCPP)
- Not back to full schedule.
- For more information contact Aaron Tjelmeland
San Jacinto Battle Ground (SJBG)
Thursdays (8:30 am – 11:30am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration that includes potting and planting grasses and forbs.
- Volunteers meet by the park headquarters next to the stone columns at the entrance to the park.
- For more information contact Jim Duron.
Environmental Institute of Houston(EIH) at UHCL
- Tuesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Wetland garden maintenance. Contact Wendy Reistle for more information.
Houston Zoo Attwater’s Prairie Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido attwateri) at the Johnson Space Center
- Not back to regular schedule. For more information contact Sandy Parker.