We have created the recurring Volunteer Service opportunities listed below in conjunction with some of our partners. Since the times and locations given may change, you should confirm the event time, date and location with the contact person before going to the site.
Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC)
- Prairie Fridays (Fridays, 8:30 am – noon) – Potting, lateral transfers, weeding – contact Jim Duron. For potting activities contact Chatt Smith.
- Stewardship Saturday (First and third Saturdays, 8:30 am – noon) – Habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring and trail maintenance. Contact Mark Kramer or call 281-474-2551.
- Farmhouse demos, docent, site maintenance and other volunteer activities, contact Liz Van Ostrand.
- Bird Survey – First Tuesday of the month at Galveston Bay Foundation Sweetwater property, 7am-10am.
- Bird Survey – Second Tuesday of the month at Exploration Green, 7am-10am
Contact Kari Howard by for more information/opportunities.
Galveston Island State Park (GISP)
Many opportunities are available, including educational and stewardship activities. Work-days are scheduled as required. Volunteers are always needed to staff the Nature Learning Center; lead beach or bay explorations and bird walks; and support school field trips. Special training is provided and you will work with an experienced partner.
- Dune/prairie restoration (Mondays at 8:30 am) contact Chatt Smith.
- For other volunteer opportunities contact Bobette Brasfield.
Sheldon Lake (SLSP)
- Tuesdays (8:30 am – 11:30 am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration including seed collection, division and potting of rescued grasses and planting in the prairie.
Contact Tom Solomon or call 281-705-8173.
Texas City Prairie Preserve (TCPP)
- Tuesdays (8:30 am – 11:30 am) Prairie Preserve Passionate People – Maintain and develop projects at the prairie. Contact Jim Duron.
- Wednesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Weekly raptor and bird monitoring.
Contact Elsie Smith by or call 409-945-4731.
San Jacinto Battle Ground (SJBG)
Thursdays (8:30 am – 11:30am) Hands on volunteer prairie restoration that includes potting and planting grasses and forbs.
- Volunteers meet by the park headquarters next to the stone columns at the entrance to the park.
- Contact Jim Duron (potting) or Chatt Smith (planting).
Environmental Institute of Houston(EIH) at UHCL
Tuesdays (9:00 am – 11:00 am) Wetland garden maintenance. Contact Wendy Reistle for more information.
Thursdays (9:00 am – noon). Wetland nursery opportunities. Usually at Exploration Green Wetland Nursery, but could be at other nursery locations. Contact Jerry Hamby for more information.