Rocks, Dirt and other Earthy stuff.
2009 Texas Soils and Geology, Sam Feagley, AgriLife Extension Service
Download Soils for Master Naturalist PDF file
2016 Organic Farming and Soil Sustainability, 3/5/2016, Betsy Ross, SustainableGrowthTexas, PDF files of handouts below.
- Biological Understanding of Soil Improvement
- compost to match project chart
- soil report sample
- fungi to bacteria ratio chart
- fungi bacteria ratios in plant systems
- Sustainable Growth Texas general info
2018 Class – Geology and Soils, by Dr. Christopher Mathewson, TAMU professor. (coming)
2020 Class September 17 – Soils, by Jake Mowrer. Also given at 2022 Class March 24, 2022
- EO1 What is Soil
- EO2 Five Factors of Soil Formation
- EO3 Environmental Functions of Soil
- And a link to a 34 minute really neat RadioLab podcast about what’s going on under a forest of trees, be patient after the initial minute or so of typical podtalk. From Tree to Shining Tree
June 13 2015 presentation by Betsy Ross:
On April 22, 2014, Richard Reid (Soil Survey Project Leader; NRCS, Bryan) gave a presentation at M&M Farm Supply in Cameron, followed by a field visit to a Blackland Prairie site (Katherine Bedrick) and a claypan Post Oak Savannah site (Don Travis) for actual soil testing using the insertion of a 6 foot collection rod. He then presented a detailed analysis of the various layers of soil found in those samples, and their geologic origin and value. Click here is the powerpoint presentation. [This is on Google Drive as it is too large to upload to our website. You may want to download it to view the overlays etc better than Google Drive will display it, about 20 meg file] Two videos and several photos can be seen here. What these will show is the soil extraction process pushing two different sized rods into the soil, first a larger diameter for the first 3 feet, then a smaller size diameter to go down through the first hole into the next 3 feet, and a 7 minute explanation of the layers in the Blackland soil.
Books and Web Sites of Interest
- Book 1: Roadside Geology of Texas
- Book 2: Geo-Texas
- Book 3: The Geology of Texas, Volume 1, Stratigraphy. This 1933(!) volume on rock layers and sediment layering is recommended by Richard Reid (above) for those who want some real detail.
- EcoRegions of Texas is a webpage describing our ecoregions.
- The Texas AgriLife Extension Service Soil, Water and Forage Testing Laboratory. http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/
- Learn about the Soil Food Web in this NRCS link.
- USDA Web Soil Survey – an online really neat zoom in tool for your own property, a bit complicated but play with it.
- General soil map of Milam County – one page color graphic.
- Milam County Soil Survey PDF file, all the details, issued 2004.
- Chart of pre-historic eons and periods
- Link to Timeline of History on wikipedia
- USDA NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) web site
- Out on the Land weekly TV shows by soil and land experts. Great education videos.